Short Film Practical Analysis: Directing 2
Register Display Schedule
|311SFP2||exam||3||2 hours (45 min) of instruction per week, 54 to 69 hours of self-study||English||summer|
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course is intended for the students who are preparing their own short films but also for those, who want to understand the short film as a form.
Mode of study
Prerequisites and co-requisites
What is short film? What can we express with a short film? What film techniques and film language is suitable for short film? What is the position of short film in the film industry and what is the audience usually expecting from short films? How were the short films presented 30 or 60 years ago and how are they presented now? The second semester will be more focused on camera, sound, acting and practical producing questions in making short films.
Together, we will be looking for the answers to those questions and probably many more. We will be analysing all the aspects of various short films and discuss how to write a short film, how to deal with the dramaturgy of the short film and how to direct it. We will be learning not only about some masterpieces created by the best directors in the history of cinema, but also about contemporary ones.
Recommended or required reading
Assessment methods and criteria
Written assignment: Maximum three pages of analysis of one of the aspects of one of the short films.
The course grade will be calculated as follows:
- Active participation in seminar discussions 40%
- Final writing assignment 60%
Schedule for winter semester 2022/2023:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
Schedule for summer semester 2022/2023:
Room No. 2
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Wed||19:00–20:35||Vít POLÁČEK||Room No. 2
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Academy Preparation Program - Cinematography (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Animated Film (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Directing (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Documentary (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Editing (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Photography (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Screenwriting (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Sound (optional subject)
- Production Team Studies (optional subject)