Surviving the Film Industry - Life After School
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Understanding specifics of the Czech production environment
Essentials of collaboration and communication within the crew
Writing synopsis, treatments, doing pitches
Building and maintaining professional relationships
Different career options in the film and/or advertising industry
Overview of current filmmaking trends
Mode of study
Prerequisites and co-requisites
This class is divided into three parts – the first one is understanding the Production part ofmaking movies. The second part is about building and keeping relationships. And the last one isall about your career options and your potential future.
- Work Ethic & Self-care in the Film IndustryHow to maintain a good work ethic, work/life balance and mental health.
- CommunicationHow to define boundaries, expectations, why honesty and transparency are important.What is radical candor. How not to take comments and feedback personally and how togive one.
- Film Funding, Treatments, PitchesWhat types of funding are available in the Czech Republic and Europe, how to apply tothem, what documents are necessary to deliver. What is treatment, synopsis, tagline,logline and how to make them. How to prepare for a pitch.
- Film FestivalsWhat kind of film festivals there are, how to work on festival strategy, what to expect.What are Markets and how to navigate through it. How to get prepared for festivals.
- Advertising ProductionMaking money by working in advertising. What is an Agency producer, what's theworkflow when working on a commercial.
- Online ProductionMaking content for online televisions, YouTube channels, social media and other formats.Difference between online production and advertising.
- Current Trends in FilmmakingWhat is moving the current world of filmmaking – TV Shows, Limited Series, VirtualProduction, Reality TV, diversity and inclusion, simultaneous releases of VOD andTheatres, etc
Recommended or required reading
Assessment methods and criteria
Participation in classes, homework and attendance.
Schedule for winter semester 2021/2022:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
Schedule for summer semester 2021/2022:
Room No. 1
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Thu||09:00–10:35||Jiří FUSEK||Room No. 1
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Academy Preparation Program - Cinematography (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Animated Film (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Directing (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration, optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Documentary (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Editing (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Photography (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Screenwriting (optional subject)