Essential Elements of Film Sound 2
Subject is not scheduled Not scheduled
|311EFS2||credit||2||2 hours (45 min) of instruction per week, 29 to 39 hours of self-study||English||summer|
Name of lecturer(s)
We will follow up on last semester's intro to all aspects of film sound by focusing in depth on this semester's actual 16mm and 35mm projects. We'll cover many of the sound possibilities of your small-scale short films, from concept through post-production:
- how to choose and make the most out of locations from a sound perspective
- writing and directing for sound
- importance of quality production sound and how to maximise your possibilities of getting it
- basic sound design ideas and the impact of HAVING A PLAN
- working with composers and post-production workflow will also be extensively discussed
This course is a complete overview, from the filmmaker's perspective, of planning and completing an effective short film soundtrack in the context of the projects we will be making this semester. Students will be ready to exploit the sound possibilities open to them.
Prerequisites and other requirements
Course is required for APP directors, and highly recommended for APP cinematographers and directors from other programs.
In order to register for the course 311EFS2, the student must have successfully completed the course 311EFS1 in a previous semester.
The Voice in Cinema by Michel Chion
Audio-Vision: Sound on Screen by Michel Chion
Evaluation methods and criteria
Attendance and participation plus a final test.
You must attend four out of six classes to pass.
This is a mainly non-technical course, meaning we will not discuss on-set recording techniques or technical equipment – that happens in my other course: Technical Sound Production
No schedule has been prepared for this course
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Academy Preparation Program - Cinematography (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Animated Film (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Directing (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration, optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Documentary (required subject, optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Editing (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Photography (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Screenwriting (optional subject)
- Academy Preparation Program - Sound (optional subject)