Script Analysis 2
Předmět není vypsán Nerozvrhuje se
Jméno vyučujícího (jména vyučujících)
Výsledky učení dané vzdělávací složky
Students should become familiar with structure, narrative and story element, such as character, theme, setup, main tension, central dramatic question, antagonist, conflict, the three act structure and its development as well as its functional deviations; techniques and specific issues of film writing and narration, difference between dramatic and literary storytelling etc. Dialogue, the dramatic use of props and costumes, staging and the creation of atmosphere as employed in the screenplay as well as realization are also covered.
Students will be expected to recognize these dramatic and narrative elements and to present a cogent analysis for a final paper.
Screening + lecture and discussion. Each film is screened in full length, accompanied by close analysis by the lecturer, while students are also encouraged to provide their input.
Předpoklady a další požadavky
Script Analysis 1 (recommended)
The purpose of this course is to study films from a dramaturgical perspective, to demonstrate diverse narrative techniques, dramatic structures and genre forms, and to closely examine the craft of screenwriting, with special attention given to characters’ dynamics and development.
The course is open to all FAMU students including visiting programs.
IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT THE STUDENTS HAVE WATCHED THE FILMS BEFORE THEY ARE SCREENED IN CLASS.
- Class Feb 25: Dog Day Afternoon (USA, 1975, dir. Sidney Lumet, written by Frank Pierson, based on the book The Boys in the Bank by P. F. Kluge)
- Class Mar 11: Blow Up (UK, USA, Italy, 1966, dir. Michelangelo Antonioni, written by Michelangelo Antonioni and Tonino Guerra, based on the short story Las babas del diablo by Julio Cortázar)
- Class Mar 25: Harold and Maude (USA, 1971, dir. Hal Ashby, written by Colin Higgins)
- Class Apr 8:: Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind (USA, 2004, dir. Michel Gondry, written by Charlie Kaufman)
- Class Apr 22: The Silence of the Lambs (USA, 1992, dir. Jonathan Demme, written by Ted Tally, based on the eponymous novel by Thomas Harris)
- Class May 6: Roma (Mexiko/USA, 2018, written and directed by Alfonso Cuarón)
Doporučená nebo povinná literatura
Aristotle. Poetics. Translated by Gerald Else. University of Michigan Press, 1967.
Aronson, Linda: The 21st Century Screenplay: A Comprehensive Guide to Writing Tomorrow's Films. Silman-James Press, 2011.
Bordwell, David. Narration in Fiction Film. University of Wisconsin Press, 1985.
Field, Syd. Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting. Dell Publishing, 1994.
Thompson, Kristin. Storytelling in the New Hollywood: Understanding Classical Narrative Technique. Harvard University Press, 1999.
In addition, SCREENPLAYS (if available) for the films screened in classes will be provided to students in .pdf and it is strongly recommended that they familiarize themselves with the scripts before the corresponding class.
Hodnoticí metody a kritéria
•Attendance + Active participation in class 15%
•Final Paper (see below) 85%
•For the FINAL PAPER, the student selects one of the films screened during the semester and chooses a scene or sequence that they analyse in detail with particular focus on its role in the overall structure of the film (narrative as well as in terms of character development). Please note, solely describing the scene does not substitue an analysis.
2 pages in length, to be delivered to the lecturer on the date of the final class via email in .pdf – DEADLINE May 13 2019.
Pro tento předmět se rozvrh nepřipravuje
Předmět je součástí následujících studijních plánů
- Academy Preparation Program - Cinematography (volitelný předmět)
- Academy Preparation Program - Animated Film (volitelný předmět)
- Academy Preparation Program - Directing (volitelný předmět)
- Academy Preparation Program - Documentary (volitelný předmět)
- Academy Preparation Program - Editing (volitelný předmět)
- Academy Preparation Program - Photography (volitelný předmět)
- Academy Preparation Program - Screenwriting (oborový předmět, volitelný předmět)
- Production Team Studies (volitelný předmět)